Creating a Democratic Classroom in SST
SST aims to provide a safe and caring environment in which students thrive and grow to become confident and self-directed successful students who exemplify the 10Cs. SST believes in creating a democratic community within the classroom in which students are empowered to make choices.
Electing Class Executive Committee Members
• Class executive committee members, comprising of Class Chairperson, Vice-chairperson, Secretary and Treasurer, are elected through a democratic process.
• FT begins election of Class Exco Members by highlighting the objective of setting up a class committee as a collective effort to create the desired class culture.
• Each class member has a special role to play in class.
• The class committee structure reflects collective effort to creating the desired class culture.
• Everyone should contribute and has a special role to play based on their strengths.
• FT shows the list of traits that Class Exco Members should have leadership potential, be good communicators and are able to build good relationship with others. FT reminds students that they need to be objective and this should not be a popularity contest or a form of sabotage.
• FT goes through the roles and responsibilities of the Class Exco Members, which comprises of Class Chairperson, Vice-chairperson, Secretary and Treasurer. (See page 2 for details)
• FT then asks students in class to nominate 4 students whom they think are best able to represent the class.
• FT facilitates voting by class on the 4 Exco roles.
• After electing the Class Executive Committee, FTs are to arrange a meeting to discuss how they can contribute towards achieving the desired class culture.
Selection of Class Sub-Committee Members and Subject Representatives
• Student may either nominate classmates whom they are suitable for the role.
• Students may also volunteer to be class sub-committee members or subject reps.
• General guideline: Every student in the class must have a role in the class committee.
After finalizing the class committee members, FT brief members on their roles and responsibilities clearly,
Conducting Class Meetings
Class Meetings enable students to share their thoughts and solve issues faced by the class on their own. The class executive committee plans the agenda and leads the class in discussions on classroom issues. The form teacher facilitates the discussion and ensures that these discussions are conducted in a respectful manner
The SST Class Committee 2012
Goal: To cultivate a caring class culture, that exemplifies the *10Cs, so as to promote a conducive learning environment where students respect, trust and support each other in a responsible manner.
Commitment Interpersonal Effectiveness
Roles of Class Committee
1. To develop and promote school spirit and culture through class bonding activities
2. To ensure the well-being of fellow classmates
3. To develop and foster care, concern and co-operation among classmates
4. To foster care for the environment and to ensure cleanliness of the classroom
5. To help plan school and level-wide activities when the need arises
6. To provide a link between school, teachers and classmates
Class Committee Structure
Teacher Advisor: Form Teacher
Class Executive Committee
• Chairperson (x1)
• Vice-Chairperson (x1)
• Secretary (x1)
• Treasurer (x1)
• Peer Support Leaders (Applicable for Sec 2s and Sec 3s)
(a) Welfare / Service Learning Committee - Welfare / SL co-ordinator (x2)
(b) Cyber Wellness & Media Literacy Committee - Cyber Wellness & Media Literacy Ambassador (x2)**
(c) National Education Committee - NE representatives (x2)
(d) Sports & Wellness Committee - Sports & Wellness representatives (x4) – one per house
(e) Environment Committee – Environment representatives (x2)
(f) Subject Representatives
(May also be a member of the sub-committees listed from (a) to (e), but should not be class Exco members or PSLs).
Note:**Sec 2s and Sec 3s- Cyber-Wellness Ambassadors have been appointed last year.
A Class Exco Member should possess the following traits
• Effective in articulating his/her views
• Speak good English
• Independent and dependable
• Able to think on the feet
• Respect others
• Empathetic listeners
• Put welfares of others before oneself
• Observing racial harmony
Role and Responsibilities of Class Committee Members
• To provide leadership to the Class Exco members, heads of each sub-committee and classmates in promoting school spirit and culture within the class.
• To work closely with the Form Teacher to ensure smooth running of class activities and inform any problems or challenges within the class.
• To facilitate class meetings together with Vice-Chairperson, with guidance from Form Teacher. When need arises, to conduct class executive committee meetings with Form Teacher.
• To maintain discipline in the class especially during assemblies, in between lessons and when moving from class to class.
• To embrace the SST’s school values and be a role model for classmates.
• To assist the Class Chairperson in his/her roles and responsibilities listed above
• To cover the duties of the Class Chairperson in his/her absence.
• To ensure the sub-committees carry out their duties responsibly.
• To assist the Form Teacher and Class Chairperson in any administrative matters.
• To monitor movement of classmates and ensure that no one leaves the class without the permission of the Form/Subject Teacher.
• To write the date and the names of absentees on the whiteboard before the first period on a daily basis.
• To record minutes of executive committee and class meetings and forward to Form
Teacher and Level Co-ordinator.
• To update homework, assessments or any class events on the class blog.
• To collect money and keep a proper account of all collections and expenditure.
• To draw out a budget for the class (class fund) and ensure that money is collected only when needed. To ensure that pupil sign against her name on a class list, when money is collected from her.
• To ensure that all money collected is passed to Account Department or Form Teacher within the same day.
Welfare / Service Learning Committee - Welfare / SL co-ordinator (x2)
• To ensure the general well-being of the class through class and school-wide activities
• To organize class bonding activities to build healthy relationships between members in class eg games, birthday celebrations...
• To support Service Learning Projects
• To assist and liaise with Service Learning Teacher I/C on matters related to Service Learning
• To liaise with Level Co-ordinators and other teachers to disseminate information regarding CE matters, Service Learning and the NYAA to and from class
Cyber Wellness/Media Literacy Ambassador (x2)
• To promote digital citizenship and good use of media to class and school community.
• To be the class contact persons in activities related to Cyber Wellness within the class, school and community.
• To report any misuse or abuse of IT-related incidents to Form Teacher
National Education Committee - NE representatives (x4 to 6)
• To be the class contact persons in activities related to National Education within the class, school and community.
• To assist NE Committee in organising NE-related events such as Total Defence Day, National day Celebrations, Racial Harmony Day etc,...
Sports & Wellness Committee - Sports & Wellness representatives (x4)
• To be the class contact persons in activities related to Sports and Wellness and House.
• To organise school-wide events related to the Sports and Wellness Department
• Update and inform class about their House activities such as Inter-House Competitions etc,.
• To assist the PE Teacher in getting equipment for PE lessons.
• To disseminate information with regards to all PE and CCA matters.
• To assist the PE Dept on all matters pertaining to CCA record
Environment Committee – Environment representatives (x2)
• To ensure that the classroom environment is clean. This includes the locker area and the corridor outside the classroom.
• To prepare a duty roster for maintenance of classroom cleanliness and see to its effective implementation. To monitor and track the duties of pupils on the roster. To remind and follow-up with individuals on their duties.
• To ensure that the lights, air-cons, fans and projectors are switched off when not is use.
• To ensure that the clock, fans, air-cons, lights and all AV/IT equipment are in good working condition and report to the estate officer if they are faulty.
• To set-up recycling box for the class.
• To encourage the class to participate actively in `green’ projects recommended by the school.
• To implement creative projects within the class and/or school that aim to save the environment conserving electricity for the class and school.
• To record test dates on “Assignment Schedule” on blog or on class notice-board
• To assist Subject Teachers in disseminating any information related to the subject area.
• To help in collecting and submitting assignments.
• To assist Subject Teachers in planning and organizing events related to the subject area.
Taken from Character Education (EXCO) information prepared by Ms Doreen Tan(2012)